Maho (Indonesian Stuffed Fruit)
This is a terrific appetizer. We at the Spice all love it. But we canrarely get people to order it—we serve it at catered parties and peoplego nuts for it. What can I tell you.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 1 serving
- 8 ounces pork (ground – lamb, beef, turkey will work as well)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 roots coriander (cilantro stems)
- 3 Tablespoons peanuts (chopped)
- 1½ Tablespoons fish sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablesooons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or fresh chili)
- In oil, fry crushed garlic and coriander root, medium heat.
- Add pork. When it begins to color add rest of ingredients.
- Continue to fry until pork is cooked through, becomes dark brown in color, and is quite dry.
- Stuff fruits like lychees, loquats, mandarins, pineapple, etc.
Note that the recipe card has additional ingredient measures for a 10-serving portion. Alternative single serving ingredient list from Jerry’s notes:
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup cilantro stems (store stems in plastic bag in freezer till needed)
- 8oz ground turkey, lamb, beef, or pork
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts or chunky natural peanut butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Squid brand (or better) fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp flaked red pepper