Here’s Jerry’s personal version of Maho, as also shared here from the restaurant.
This is a terrific appetizer. We at the Spice all love it. But we can rarely get people to order it-we serve it at catered parties and people go nuts for it. What can I tell you.Jerry Weinberg
- 5 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ½ cup cilantro (stems – store stems in plastic bag in freezer till needed)
- 8 ounces turkey (ground – or lamb, beef, pork)
- ¼ cup peanuts (chopped – or chunky natural peanut butter)
- 1½ Tablespoons fish sauce (Squid brand or better)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup molasses
- 3 Tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Fry garlic and cilanto stems in olive oil, medium heat. Add meat. When color starts to change, add remaining ingredients.
- Fry, stirring, till meat is cooked through, dark brown in color, and quite dry.
- Stuff fruits like lychees, loquats, mango or papaya chunks—a mixture on a platter will be gobbled up!