- 1¼ pounds chicken (boneless)
- 2¼ cups bread crumbs (white, pulverized in blender)
- 1 cup onion (finely processed)
- ½ cup tomatoes (coarsely seeded and chopped, fresh if possible)
- ¼ cup cilantro (minced)
- ¼ cup basil (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- Combine all ingredients in a deep bowl (use only 1 cup of the bread crumbs).
- Mix very well until mixture is smooth. Machine is ok, but don't over process.
- Divide into 8-10 equal portions and shape into flattened ovals about 3" long. ½-¾" deep.
- Dip both sides into remaining bread crumbs, arrange on wax paper on trays. Freeze until day of use.
- Defrost. Add oil to frying pan, turn heat to moderate until drop of water sizzles when added.
- Reduce heat and fry until both sides are crisp and brown — test so there's no pink.
- Serve with dipping sauce of herbs and yogurt, as we use in Nilgiri.
- Turn heat lower and fry until both sides are crisp and golden brown.
- Broil two chicken patties until heated through.
- Steam veggies and place on a large black plate.
- Rest the chicken patties on an angle against veggies. Garnish patties with cilantro.
- Serve with a side of chilled yogurt sauce and a side of rice.