- 5-6 pounds cabbage (napa)
- ½ cup salt (kosher)
- 4 scallions (½" cut)
- 3 Tablespoons ginger (fresh)
- 3 Tablespoons garlic (fresh)
- 2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Quarter cabbage, cut across leaves, 1½".
- In stainless bowl, toss cabbage with salt. Add water just to cover.
- Sit at room temp overnight.
- Drain in colander. Don't rinse.
- In bowl mix with remaining ingredients.
- Put into sterilized container(s) to pickle, room temp, 2-4 days.
- IMPORTANT! 2 or 3 times each day, open jar to release gas, poking a chopstick around edges to dislodge air bubbles. Taste! When flavor is right, store in cooler.
Will keep several weeks in cooler. Daikon juice or chicken stock can be used in pickling process.