The Evil Jungle dishes at Five Spice were among the most iconic and perhaps the recipes in highest demand. Unfortunately, the official recipe card for Evil Jungle Prince either never existed or was lost in the fire. However, we have the recipe cards for the aromatics (perhaps the most important part), Evil Jungle Princess, and Evil Dumplings, from which a diligent reader can create something edible. We also have the line recipe for EJP.
We certainly seek input from former Five Spice staff to help us figure this out and extend the royal lineage. How much is in a wok spoon? Should there be 3C of zoomers in the dumplings instead of 2 or is that 3C total of shoots and zoomers (there’s an Oxford comma joke in there)? We will find out.
Evil Jungle Princess with Mixed Vegetables and Tofu
- ¾ fork Evil Aromatics
- ½ cup coconut milk
- pea pods
- bamboo shoot
- water chestnut (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cabbage (thinly sliced)
- Stir fry the aromatics for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add veggies and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add basil and salt.
- Serve in a rice donut on a bed of cabbage.
- curry wok
- 2 to 2½ cups coconut milk
- 8 Tablespoons basil
- 8 Tablespoons Evil Aromatics
- 8 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 30 baby corn
- 2 cups shiitake
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup pea pods
- 8 cups green cabbage
- 3 cups celery
- In big (curry) wok, cook coconut milk, basil, aromatics, fish sauce.
- Add chicken and cook until almost done.
- Add corn, shoots, zoomers, peapods.
- Add green cabbage.
- Add celery.
- Drain sauce and process in robocoup when done.
5 thoughts on “Evil Jungle Prince, Princess, and Dumplings”
Pardon my ignorance, what is a “zoomer”?
Don’t regard this as definitive because it’s been 20 years since I worked there, but a wok spoon is around 1/2 cup.
Ok, now that you’ve answered my first two questions, can I also ask:
Where can I find large bundles of lemongrass
Kafir lime leaves
What is Sambal?
I am a big fan of Thai Phat on North Street but I’m sure that any of the Asian stores in the greater BTV should be good sources. I don’t know about the lime leaves but they definitely have plenty of lemongrass and Sambal…I’ve purchased both there in the last week.