Don’t miss some of the originally posted mock recipes.
- 2 pounds mock beef (dry (4 pounds), processed lightly)
- 10 scallions (shredded)
- 4 cups bamboo (chopped)
- 4 Tablespoons garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ginger
- ½ cup brown bean sauce (+/-)
- veggie stock (volume equal to what is needed to reconstitute the beef and cook down)
- Split into 2 batches.
- Heat 3T oil, add 1/2 ginger, garlic, onions. Cook.
- Add bean sauce and about 1/2 veg stock, cook down.
- Add 1/2 "beef", mix well with bamboo.
- Turn off heat, add 1/2 scallions. Mix.
- Repeat with second batch. Add sauce over "beef."
No mushrooms, peanut, sesame, nuts. Low oil, sugar.
- 3 Tablespoons oil (much more later)
- 2 Tablespoons garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ginger
- 2 jalapeños (chopped)
- 10 scallions (whites – chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons fermented black beans
- ¼ cup onions (chopped)
- 2 cups scallions (greens)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- Heat oil, add all Round 1 ingredients except scallion greens. Cook. Add scallion greens, cook briefly. Turn off heat.
- Mix in Round 2 ingredients.
- Process fine, then drip in oil until it emulsifies into a mayonnaise state. (At a guess, between 1-2 cups. Drip in ¼C, then add oil in a slow steady stream.)
- 1 fork garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon onions (diced)
- 1 teaspoon basil (+)
- 1 teaspoon mint (+)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- black pepper
- pea pods
- baby corn
- red peppers
- ½ can mock chicken
- Heat oil in wok. Add garlic, pepper flakes, onion, basil, mint. Stir fry briefly.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, black pepper. Heat through.
- Add veggies and mock chicken.
If using real chicken, add to aromatics, cook 1/2 way, then proceed.
6 thoughts on “All Things Mock”
And by “Mock duck/chicken” are we talking seitan?
In fact…no! Although they have similar ingredients there are definitely differences, not the least of which is texture. I believe mock duck is essentially seitan that has been cooked and effectively seasoned in the can.
You can specifically buy mock duck in every Asian store I’ve been to in Burlington quite easily.
Wow! Good to know *all* of that! Thanks, Chip!
The mock duck was my go to order. Any help would be great. Thanks for sharing the recipes Chip. We’ve made quite a few and I have shared them with some of my friends who all loved 5 Spice as well. We all appreciate your efforts!
Try this newer one we found the other day: https://fivespice.cafe/2021/04/26/sichuan-mock-dock/