One doesn’t simply walk into Five Spice without discussing Pad Thai. Jerry, as I recall, said there are two types of Pad Thai recipes – one sweet, one almost sour. He preferred the latter.
Sauce For Pad Thai
Note that this makes enough sauce to tide most small families over for a while. Adjust accordingly.
Pad Thai v1
- Add garlic, preserved vegetable to wok. Cover with egg. Do not stirfry, let egg 'set.'
- Immediately add shrimps and scallions to wok, not in egg.
- Flip egg mixture up over shrimps, let 'set.'
- Add sprouts, rice noodles. Stir fry all together, breaking apart egg and mixing well. Egg should not be burned.
- Add pad thai sauce (and a little broth, if necessary). Mix well. Dish should not be wet nor dry, but moistened.
- Serve in a pasta bowl with "3 fingers" of sprouts, peanuts, cilantro, and lemon wedge.
Pad Thai v3
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 4 ounces dried noodles, soaked
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- powdered dried shrimp
- peanuts (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon preserved vegetables (Chinese pickles)
- 2 scallion ("inchers")
- Beat one egg and add 1 T powdered dried shrimp, 1 T chopped peanuts.
- Heat oil in wok and add garlic and cook until browned. Add egg and cook a few seconds.
- Add noodles, stir well. Add juice, fish sauce, sugar, 1 T peanuts, 1 T dried shrimp powder, chili, preserved veggies, beansprouts, scallions. STIR WELL.
- Turn onto plate and scatter remaining peanuts, shrimp, more beansprouts.
- The note card scratches out 2 T of powdered shrimp and 2 T peanuts to use only 1 T each, but the recipe itself calls for 2 T of each. My guess is that the correction in the ingredient list was made to keep people from using too much in the first stage.
- The final garnish ingredient isn’t clear.
- ½ fork garlic
- 1 spoon preserved vegetables
- 1 egg
- ½ fork chili paste w/garlic (a little less (sambal))
- green cabbage (a small handful)
- 2 fingers inchers
- vegetable broth
- rice noodles
- bean sprouts
- ¼ cup Sweet Pad Thai Sauce (+)
- Oil in wok. Add garlic, preserved veggies, season with salt and pepper. Cover with egg.
- Add shrimp, sambal. Season with salt, sugar. Stir fry until 3/4 done.
- Add cabbage, inchers, and a little broth to moisten.
- Add rice noodles, bean sprouts, and a little broth if necessary.
- Add Sweet Pad Thai sauce and mix well.
- Serve and garnish with sprouts, chopped peanuts, cilantro, and lime.
- Mix well.
- Note that this is a sauce of sauces.
- The dual entries for the Thai sweet chili sauce are to make adjusting servings more accurate.
- The 32 serving yield is an estimate based on a total of approximately 8 cups of product and an estimate of a quarter cup of sauce (“1/2 wok spoon”) from the Sweet Pad Thai recipe.